Applications to the 2019 Gateways to the Laboratory Program are now closed. Look for updates regarding the 2020 application cycle via the Leadership Alliance and stay apprised of Gateways news and activities via Gateways Twitter.
Who Is Eligible To Apply?
- Current college freshmen and sophomores
- US citizens and permanent residents (proof of status is required)
- Members of groups historically underrepresented in medicine and science*:
- Individuals from racial and ethnic minorities
- Individuals from socioeconimically disadvantaged backgrounds
- Individuals with disabilities
*It is important that you explain how you identify with one or more of these groups in your application.
Each year, more than 200 students apply for the 15 positions in the Gateways class. Applicants should have a strong desire to pursue the combined MD-PhD degree. This is NOT an appropriate summer program for students who wish to eventually pursue an MD or MPH degree.
Previous research experience is encouraged, but not required.
The typical Gateways applicant has an average college GPA (at the time of submitting an application) of 3.7 (successful applicants have a GPA of at least 3.0), and is self motivated, disciplined, and driven. They have a desire to investigate the unknown and bring their research from the "bench to the bedside". These are the students who always go the extra mile. They are the next generation of physician-scientists who will become leaders in biomedical research.