The 2023 application period is now open! All applications must be submitted via The Leadership Alliance before the deadline of February 1, 2023.
Stay apprised of Gateways news and activities via Gateways Twitter.
Who Is Eligible To Apply?
- Current college freshmen and sophomores who will be at least 18 years of age at the start of the Program.
- US citizens and permanent residents (proof of status is required)
- Members of groups historically underrepresented in medicine and science*:
- Individuals from racial and ethnic minorities
- Individuals from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds
- Individuals with disabilities
*It is important that you explain how you identify with one or more of these groups in your application.
Each year, more than 200 students apply for the 15 positions in the Gateways class. Applicants should have a strong desire to pursue the combined MD-PhD degree. This is NOT an appropriate summer program for students who wish to eventually pursue an MD or MPH degree.
Previous research experience is encouraged, but not required.
Over the past five years, students admitted to Gateways have had an average college GPA (at the time of submitting an application) of 3.79, with standard deviation of 0.20; their GPAs have ranged from 3.23 to 4.0.
A successful Gateways applicant is self motivated, disciplined, and driven. They have a desire to investigate the unknown and bring their research from the "bench to the bedside". These are the students who always go the extra mile. They are the next generation of physician-scientists who will become leaders in biomedical research.