Admissions Tips for Applicants to the Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program:
- We only have three interview days. Please view the current interview dates. If you are applying to the Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program, we strongly encourage you to keep these dates free until you hear a final decision from us. Rescheduling is incredibly difficult. If you are selected for an interview, you will hear our final decision in mid-December.
- The Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program processes over 570 applications annually. Applications are received all summer long and screening of complete applications commences in late August.
- The earlier your file is complete, the better your chances are of getting an interview. We interview only ~75 applicants per year. The later you are screened, the fewer interview slots may be available, which means it becomes more competitive later in the screening cycle. We start screening applications in August.
- Therefore, APPLY EARLY. You are strongly encouraged to submit your AMCAS application by September 1, even if you haven't taken the MCAT exam yet. This allows us to start processing your application. If the rest of your file is complete, once we get your MCAT scores, your file is ready to be screened.
- Ask the faculty members who are writing your letters of recommendation to submit their letters before they go away for the summer. Contacting them in July/August is almost impossible and your file will not be complete until their letters are submitted, and we will not act on your application until it is complete.
- Items that typically hold an application from achieving "complete status" include letters of recommendation and the medical college's secondary form. Access to the medical college's secondary form is only emailed to applicants whose applications are verified by AMCAS.
- Check your email regularly! We email all students to let them know the status of their application. We also will let you know what is missing from your application. If something is missing, you are encouraged to act on this right away.
- If you are offered admission into our MD-PhD Program, you do not need to give us your final decision until April 30th. By April 30th, we need to get a letter of intention from you and, if you decide to matriculate, a $100 deposit made out to Weill Cornell Medical College. With your acceptance letter, you will receive a form which you need to complete and return to us, but you do not need to send us a deposit yet. If we do not hear from you by the deadline, we reserve the right to withdraw our offer.
For more information, see the AAMC Admission Deadline "Traffic Rules."